As modern technology gets better and better each year, alarmingly high rates of diabetes, cancer, and heart disease to name a few are occurring still. We’re obviously doing something wrong and it has to do with the food we eat and the environment we live in. It’s time for a change! Aren’t we grossed out by fast food yet???? Who in their right mind eats at McDonalds and feels awesome afterwards? More like nauseous. Unlike late night excursions to Taco Hell, eating healthy and exercising never leaves you thinking it was a bad idea.
Now there are many excuses to why people don’t eat healthy: they don’t have time, they can’t afford it, blah blah. They are indeed excuses. Everyone makes time for what they want to make time for, I am making time by writing this blog post, others make time by getting on Facebook (creepbook) for hours, some make time to go and take their dog for a walk; we make time for what is important to us. Not being able to afford healthy food really is something that can be worked around. You don’t necessarily have to buy fresh foods every time (frozen vegetables are perfectly good for you too), look for veggies and fruit that are on sale, buy food that is in season, shop at farmer’s markets, but most importantly you can prioritize! You don’t NEED cable, you don’t NEED a gym membership (running outside is free and simply moving around is free too), but you do need health.
Every day we vote with our dollars, so let’s stop feeding ourselves and loved ones foods made from a science lab and start nourishing with REAL foods made from nature. Tips for a healthier you:
- Read ingredients, if you don’t know what it is, neither does your body. Here’s the list of America’s favorite… a Twinkie: Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40. Yep, let me go into my kitchen and whip up a batch of Twinkies with the above ingredients… unless you’re in a science lab I never want to see the above things in food.
- If you love your desserts, you can have your cake and eat it too! Just make them from scratch… you won’t find any Yellow 5 or Red 40 in my cookies.
- Don’t fall for labels on packages such as “made with ALL NATURAL ingredients.” All natural means absolutely nothing and anyone can use that term. Most of the time when you read the “all natural” ingredients it has high fructose corn syrup in it… and a lot of people say that because it comes from corn it is natural. WRONG.
- Cook. Nothing’s better than a home cooked meal or a home cooked meal by someone else. mmm
- Most importantly, don’t beat yourself up if you do eat processed foods on occasion (I can rarely control myself when my boyfriend brings home candy), just don’t make it an every day occurrence or even a weekly one.